February 24 – April 23, 2017
Turner Memorial Art Museum
Public Opening Reception
and Teacher Appreciation Night
Thursday, February 23, 5:30-7:30 pm
Pelicans Moving to Water
6th Grade, Trinity School of Midland
Teacher: Jane Becker
Best in Show 2016
Exhibition made possible by Claire & Jim Woodcock
ONLY ONE ENTRY PER STUDENT
Celebrate the talents of Midland’s youngest artists and their teachers. Elementary through high school students are represented in this annual exhibition through a variety of media including drawing, painting and sculpture. This year's theme is all about culture and heritage.
NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES
Planning to participate? Read the information below and RSVP so we know to expect your artwork. RSVP HERE
The Museum of the Southwest’s On the Rise Exhibition will focus on the theme “Culture & Heritage.” Students may interpret this broad and creative theme in any way they see fit. Artist statements are encouraged!
Any student in kindergarten through twelfth grade is eligible to submit work for the exhibition. See eligibility details below:
• Only ONE entry per student
• Submissions must be dropped off at the Museum of the Southwest on or before Friday, February 17, 2016.
• Entries may be in the form of two or three-dimensional works of art. Video or audio projects are also accepted. A black or white mat is required for 2D artwork and no works may be framed.
• Entries should be submitted by the student’s fine art teacher, homeroom teacher, parent or guardian.
• There is no limit on the number of students a teacher may enter into the exhibition.
Selection Process and Notification Information
A panel of jurors will make the final selections for the exhibition. Works will be selected on the basis of quality, originality and the artist’s use of the theme. An artist’s statement can be included with the application to allow jurors to more fully understand the work of art and its place within the theme. Artist statements are not required but appreciated. Teachers of selected students will be notified via e-mail by 5 p.m. on Monday, February 20, 2016.
What is an Artist Statement?
An artist statement is a paragraph written by the artist that describes his or her artwork. It might include details about the inspiration for the artwork or the reason that it fits within the given exhibition theme. It may include why the artist enjoys art or their goals as an artist. The artist’s statement is not required, but will allow jurors a better understanding of the artist’s intent. Please keep statements under 100 words.
Will Student’s Get Their Artwork Back?
Yes! Artwork will be available for pick-up beginning Tuesday, April 25, 2017. All artwork not picked up by a school representative or parent/guardian by Friday, April 28, 2017 will become property of the Museum of the Southwest.
How to Submit Artwork
• Entries include only ONE work of art per student as well as the required submission form (submission form found HERE)
• Artwork must be submitted before 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 17, 2017 to be considered
• Artwork must be submitted in person to:
Museum of the Southwest (Turner Memorial Art Museum)
1705 W. Missouri Ave.
Midland, TX 79701
• There is no limit on the number of students that a teacher/parent may represent